Summer is here, the sun is out, the weather is warm and outdoor activities beckon. Whether you want to test your green thumb, challenge the road on your bicycle, brave the waves, hit the fairways or just lounge on the beach or the cottage, there are some things you should always keep in mind.
- Make sure to keep hydrated, but avoid alcoholic beverages, soft drinks or coffee. Choose fruit juices without any added sugar and beverages that replace electrolytes lost through sweating.
- Before any physical activity, make sure to warm up properly and to stretch. Even in hot weather, your muscles need to be brought up to full capacity gradually. Our therapists will be happy to show you a few stretches appropriate to your type of activity.
- Avoid exercising during the hottest times of the day.
- Summer time is abundant with fresh fruit, so take advantage of it and have some fruit at hand for a little snack here and there. If you are concerned about pesticides on your produce, head to your local farmer’s market or buy organic at your favourite grocery store.
- Another snack alternative are nuts, so next time you feel a bit peckish, instead of reaching for that chocolate bar, munch on some nuts; like walnuts, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, or almonds, containing more fibre than any other nut and are loaded with vitamin E, to just name a few!.